Friday, April 08, 2016

SFL Division 1 Round-Up

Rathvilly 2-15

Mount Leinster Rangers 0-4

AHEAD 0-7 to 0-3 at the interval Rathvilly opened up in the second half to sweep aside the challenge of Mount Leinster Rangers. When Cathal Owens took a pass from Brian Smith he found the net minutes after the restart. Who knows what would have happened if Chris Nolan’s rasper hadn’t hit the Rathvilly woodwork but Darragh Donnelly also did well to save from Nolan in an exciting sequence of events. As the Wicklow border side made good their escape and stretched away, Gary Dempsey found the net on 54 minutes which signalled he has not lost any of his scoring instincts over the winter.

Rathvilly: Darragh Donnelly; Jeff Worth, Tony Bolger, Jeff O’Donoghue; Colin Byrne, Kevin McCall, Paul Curran; Brian Smith, Brian Murphy (0-2, 0-1 free); Robbie Ryan, Danny Molloy (0-2), Patrick Byrne; Diarmuid Cronin (0-1) Gary Dempsey (1-5), Conor Owens (1-0). Subs: Ed Finnegan (0-2) for P Byrne, Alan Kelly  (0-1) for Curran, Brendan Murphy (0-1) for Owens, Donie Kelly for Ryan, Andrew Sibbald for Molloy, Adam Lawlor (0-1) for Dempsey.
Mount Leinster Rangers: Thomas Brennan; Padraig Bambrick, Padraig Nolan, MJ Doran, John Coady, Brian Nolan, Gary Kelly (0-1); Denis Roche (0-1), Edward Byrne (0-1); Jack Murphy, Willie Hickey, Conor Fenlon; Chris Nolan, Ted Joyce, Niall Lynam.

Referee: Kieran Kelly (Fighting Cocks).


Tinryland 2-14

Kildavin-Clonegal 0-4

Tinryland produced a brilliant second-half performance to see off the visitors Kildavin-Clonegal in Rathcrogue on Sunday. They led 0-7 to 0-3 at the interval but it could have been worse for Kildavin if goalkeeper Ronan Brennan hadn’t produced a brilliant save to deny Cormac Walshe.

The Tinryland pressure told in the second half and younger members of the squad through Niall Lowry and Ciaran Larkin found the net against a Kildavin-Clonegal side without Daniel St Ledger who is now playing his club football in Dublin club St Sylvesters.

Tinryland: Trevor O’Reilly; Dylan Byrne, Mark Dempsey, Danny Moran (0-2); Cian Lawlor, Conor O’Toole, Conor McGrath (0-1);  Cormac Walshe, Richie Whyte (0-1);  Keith Jackson, Matthew O’Toole (0-1), Cian Moore; Ciaran Larkin (1-2), Diarmaid Walshe (0-6, 0-3 frees, 0-1 45), Niall Lowry (1-0). Subs:  John Paul Moore, Glenn Doyle, Paul Broderick (0-1), Andrew Hanley, Ciaran Townsend, Mark Lawlor.

Kildavin-Clonegal: Ronan Brennan; Paul Kavanagh, Donal Hickey, Padraig Byrne; Liam Roberts, Fintan Harrington, Niall Murphy; Pauric Hickey, David Byrne; Liam Conway, John Kirwan, Gavin Byrne; Eoin Roche, Aidan Kelly (0-2) Owen Roberts (0-1, free). Sub: Joe Roberts (0-1 free).

Referee: David Hickey (Fenagh)


Éire Óg 2-14

Old Leighlin 0-14

After a number of defeats to Old Leighlin in recent championship seasons it was the town side who may have felt they had to lay a marker early in the season when they travelled to Old Leighlin on Sunday. Goals win games and so it transpired when Chris Blake and Niall Quinlan scored one in each half and it was these two three pointers which divided the sides at the finish.

New Éire Óg manager, Joe Murphy who previously steered the home side to championship glory in Carlow, will surely have enjoyed this one.

Éire Óg: Robbie Moore; Cathal Kelly, Benny Kavanagh, Richie Mahon; Lee Moore (0-1), Kelvin Chatten, Dylan Salter; Sean Gannon (0-1), Mark Fitzgerald; Tommy Dowling, Darragh O’Brien, Derek Hayden (0-1); Eric McCormack (0-4), Chris Blake (1-2), Niall Quinlan (1-5). Subs: Eoin Maddock for Dowling, Recce Denieffe for O’Brien, Corey Harmon for McCormack.

Old Leighlin scorers: Cathal Coughlan 0-8, Pat Hickey 0-4, Aaron Amond 0-1, David Bambrick 0-1.

Referee: Patrick Murphy (Ballinkillen)

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow Sport

Gowran fiercely proud of Thyestes showpiece