Thursday, November 15, 2018

CARLOW District Credit Union has withdrawn allegations of gross misconduct against its chief executive as part of the settlement of his High Court proceedings challenging his dismissal on Friday.

In a statement issued to The Nationalist yesterday, Monday, the board of directors of the credit union confirmed that they had withdrawn “allegations of gross misconduct without any admission of liability” against Mr Kearns and that Mr Kearns had resigned his position of CEO.

The board of directors of Carlow District Credit Union advises that in a confidential written agreement arrived at between Mr Eugene Kearns and the credit union, Mr Kearns resigned his position as CEO on Friday 9 November. The credit union withdrew its allegations of gross misconduct without any admission of liability,” the statement said.

 

On Wednesday, Mr Kearns was granted injunctions restraining the credit union from publishing his dismissal and from appointing anyone in his place pending further order. He was also granted permission to serve at short notice his intention to bring proceedings injuncting his dismissal.

He strongly denied the claim of gross misconduct, the court heard, in what was a one-side-only represented application to the court on Wednesday.

When the matter returned before Mr Justice Tony O’Connor on Friday, Marguerite Bolger SC said that following talks, the matter had been resolved and a statement would be read out by Mark Connaughton SC for the credit union.  

Mr Connaughton said that the parties had come to an agreement in writing, the terms of which are confidential.

Without any admission of liability, the credit union withdrew the allegations of misconduct, he said. Both sides wished each other the best for the future, he added.

Mr Justice O’Connor struck out the case.

Comments are closed.

By Ann O'Loughlin
Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow News