Thursday, November 22, 2018

Leinster Junior Hurling Championship

St Maur’s (Dublin) 1-22
Erin’s Own 1-9
A FIGHTING second-half display from the Bagenalstown men wasn’t enough to halt St Maur’s progress as the Rush club set up a semi-final meeting with Kilkenny’s Dunnamaggin.
The introduction of three half-time substitutions gave Erin’s Own a bit more zest with Jamie Clarke carrying the fight to the hosts in the second period.
But Erin’s Own always had their work cut out with Liam Galway enduring a frustrating time at full forward.
Galway would find the back of the net off a late free but for all their industry, they were facing an uphill battle after trailing by 1-11 to 0-3 at the break.
The big difference between the sides on the day was St Maur’s full forward Olan Kelleher. Due to return to his native Cork where he hurled with Blackrock, Kelleher has been a touch of class for Maur’s this season and he showed that again at Thomas Ashe Park in Lusk on Saturday with a classy finish to the back of the net with just five minutes.
It had come following a good run from Maur’s captain Craig Harford. Harford then had the vision to pick out Kelleher who followed first time past Andrew Townsend in the Erin’s Own goal.
By the 10th minute Maur’s had extended their lead to seven points – 1-4 to 0-0 – off a point from Dublin senior Eoghan Conroy.
Erin’s Own would eventually open their account through Galway who having been picked out with a cross-field ball by Alan Corcoran, raised the white flag with a fine point from the left.
A free followed soon after from David Miley but Maur’s were soon back into their stride with Kelleher pointing off a sideline ball. Further points from Kelleher and the influential JM Sheridan saw Maur’s bring their lead out to double figures before Corcoran saw a goal bound shot saved by Jack Higgins
Erin’s Own managed one more point before the break when Miley sent over a free but with Paulie McAlister turning in an excellent display at wing back, Maur’s were proving increasingly harder to break down.
The half=time interval proved a welcome respite for Erins Own and while Corcoran pointed soon after the resumption, Maur’s then upped the intensity once more with JM Sheridan, Kelleher and substitue Adam Kennedy all seeing efforts saved inside the first five minutes.
And while frees from Miley and Galway kept the scoreboard ticking along, Erin’s Own were held scoreless for 11 minutes before Galway fired in a late free past Higgins in the dying minutes.
St Maur’s: Jack Higgins, Darragh Conroy, Cathal Niall, Fiachra Mackey, Paul McAllister, Kevin Reade, Joe Gleeson, Paddy Sheridan 0-1 (0-1 free), Stephen Harford, Eoghan Conroy 0-2, JM Sheridan 0-10 (0-4 free, 0-2 65) , Glen Weldon, Craig Harford 0-1, Olan Kelleher 1-5, Kevin O’Connor. Subs: Adam Kennedy 0-2 for Weldon (half time), Dylan Halpin for O’Connor (43 mins), Finbar Harford for Eoghan Conroy (53 mins), Fergal Butterly 0-1 for Craig Harford (54 mins), Danny Butterly for Seamus Harford (54 mins)
Erin’s Own: Andrew Townsend, Liam Cummins, David Galway, Ronan Minchin, Thomas Maher, John Rogers, Conor Lennon, Alan Corcoran (0-1), James Geoghegan, David Miley (0-5, 0-3 free), Alan Whelan, Liam Galway (1-3, 0-1 free, 1-0 pen), Gary Monaghan, Jamie O Neill, Neil Martin. Subs: Jamie Clarke for O’Neill, Darren Crooks for Monaghan, Sean Curran for Cummins (all half-time)

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow Sport

Star boxer left heartbroken after IABA ban

Slow start costs Carlow dearly

‘Moral victories are in the past’