Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Crettyard United        0

New Oak Boys           0

By Harry Shorthose

It’s advantage New Oak in the race for the Nationalist Premier Division title as the two old rivals played out a scoreless draw.

Neither side was able to find the breakthrough as they cancelled each other out in an open end-to-end game. Defence was key as both sides negated each other’s forward line, the draw being a fair result.

It was New Oak who threatened most early on as they forced set pieces. Crettyard’s first chance came in the sixth minute when Danny Doyle played Lee Salter through, but it was too far ahead for him to reach and Kelan Gaffney came out to clear. Four minutes later, a Dean Kelly free-kick sailed just past the top corner. Eight minutes later, Salter tried to curl one from the right into the top corner but a cross into the box was perhaps the right option.

David Doyle came close to breaking the deadlock on 22 minutes when his effort from the left just missed the top corner. The best chance of the game fell to Doyle again on the half-hour mark when Lee Murphy’s cross from the right fell into his path in front of goal, but he just missed the ball.

Crettyard could have taken advantage a minute later when some good work by Salter set Doyle through on goal, but he couldn’t control the ball. Salter went close on a couple of occasions close to half-time but, under pressure, failed to punish the New Oak defence.

Just before the break, Cristoir Maher’s free-kick found the head of Ger Murray, but he headed straight at Gaffney.

It was Crettyard who started best after the break as Maher’s free-kick from the left four minutes in went wide after no one could get on the end of it. Doyle again went close for Cretty in the 53rd minute, but his effort was deflected out. Three minutes later, New Oak responded when a Jordan Harmon free-kick was deflected away and back into the path of Murphy, but Seamus Dowling managed to get a foot in the way to steer the effort over the bar.

The resulting corner found David O’Shea, but his header hit the crossbar and was cleared. Just after the hour mark, Harmon’s free-kick from the right curled just past the far corner. With 20 minutes to go, Maher’s free-kick from the left was hit wide, just missing the bottom corner. A last gasp tackle by Bobby Dowling denied Andrew Wall 12 minutes from time.

Crettyard had a glorious chance to take the lead from a Maher corner on the right-hand side three minutes from time only for Salter to handle the ball at the back post. Deep into injury time, a Jack Brady corner was cleared and O’Shea broke down the left-hand side and tried a shot, but hit it straight at John Dunphy.

Crettyard United: John Dunphy, Ger Murray, Craig Comerford, Bobby Dowling, Seamus Dowling, Mikey Byrne, Cristoir Maher, Jack Brady, Anthony Fitzpatrick, Danny Doyle, Lee Salter. Subs: Luke Maher, Colin Osborne, Mark Lyons.

New Oak Boys: Kelan Gaffney, Lee Murphy, Cathal Gaffney, David O’Shea, Dylan Keightley, Craig Wall, David Keating, Dean Kelly, Jordan Harmon, Andrew Wall, David Doyle. Subs: Will Hayes, Padraig Murphy.


Slaney Rovers 4

Ballymurphy Celtic 1

The visitors began well enough with Declan Brennan going close with an early header but two quick goals for the hosts rocked them on their heels. Fifteen minutes in Aaron Broughall’s corner was headed home by Daniel O’Brien for the opening score. It got better for Rovers five minutes later when Mick Foley applied the finishing touch to a superb centre from Seanie Furlong.

With 20 minutes left, Rovers Eoin Curran and Dominic Byrne carved open the Celtic rearguard for Daniel O’Brien to net his second and Rovers third to make it 3-0. With five minutes left on the clock, Celtic finally converted a chance, Anto Jordan netting, but any notions of a comeback were dashed when Kyle Byrne finished off the scoring for Rovers.

Colm O’Connor, Eoin Curran and Stephen Farrell impressed for the winners, while Ben Coleman, Anto Jordan and Declan Brennan were best for Celtic.


Dolmen Celtic 1

Parkville United          3

The first-half ended scoreless and the second period was only five minutes old when ten-man United hit the front, Gaz Doyle firing home from 25 yards. On the hour mark it was 2-0, Fitzgerald keeping his composure as he slotted home after good work by Sam Sheridan. Ten minutes later, Dolmen lost a man to a red card to even up the numbers and, as is often the case, the sending-off spurred on the hosts and they duly scored to halve the deficit on 75 minutes.

United ’keeper Sean Tompkins pulled off a couple of excellent saves to keep Celtic at bay before teenager Dylan Sheridan rounded off a superb performance with a well taken goal.

Sam Sheridan was the standout performer for United.


St Patrick’s Boys         1

Killeshin FC    1

A late penalty from Liam Byrne earned Pat’s a share of the spoils in this local affair on Sunday.

Adam Steed was a constant threat for Killeshin and he was twice denied before Killeshin eventually took the lead five minutes before the break, Chris Connors released Dylan Regan through on goal and he neatly slotted past the advancing ’keeper to make it 1-0 to the visitors at half-time.

Killeshin thought they had a second goal midway through the half, Steed found the net only for play to be called back for an earlier foul and Pat’s made the most of this let-off when Mark Delaney was fouled by the Killeshin ’keeper with three minutes left on the clock and Liam Byrne made no mistake from 12 yards as he converted to earn his team a point.

Best for Pat’s included Chris Gaul, Mark Delaney, Tomas Murphy and Luke Kehoe. Killeshin’s best were Shane Martin, Liam Seery and Barry Ryan.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow Sport

A proud racing tradition with deep roots