By Kieran Murphy
ALTHOUGH the announcement from the GAA on Monday suspending all club games with immediate effect means that Leinster Intermediate Football against Tinahely won’t go ahead as planned this weekend, that doesn’t take away from Old Leighlin’s achievement of getting that far.
Chairman, Liam Forde, cannot praise this group highly enough.
“They are a fantastic bunch of players. Over the years we set targets and we do everything in their power to achieve those targets. That is what it is. We set a target to catch up on Bennekerry-Tinryland. It took us a few years. We then got that. We set a target to compete at Leinster. They hit that target in the first year and won a Leinster junior championship,” he said.
The Old Leighlin man says it is possible they could have taken the foot off the pedal after winning their provincial title.
“We even felt that year that we had codded ourselves by setting our target a bit low. Looking back at it we probably should not have been happy with that and we should have set our target on winning an All-Ireland. The way ladies football is set up you get one chance at that.”
He says the squad were not overawed going up to Dunshaughlin last week to play the Royal Gaels.
“We felt the Meath team were going to be good but we were certainly not afraid of them. We were going to compete. We did a bit of homework. They have two county players. Niamh O’Sullivan and Niamh Gallogly. They are their best players and we had to focus on stopping them. We did a fantastic job on stopping them. We nullified their influence on the game,” noted the club chairman.
It’s a now waiting game to see if and when Old Leighlin get the chance to take to the field for the final but when that opportunity does arise you can be sure they will be ready.