Thursday, April 14, 2022


Killeshin 1

New Oak Boys 2

Keating Memorial Premier Cup


A second half screamer from Dean Kelly was enough to see New Oak edge past Killeshin for the second time in as many weeks, as they advanced to the semi-finals of the Premier Cup on Wednesday night and keep their quintuple hopes alive.

Dean Kelly scored a brilliant winner as New Oak Boys reached the semi-finals of the Premier Cup

They dominated the game and the winning margin could have been bigger but New Oak weren’t clinical enough to put the game to bed. Killeshin struggled to get into the game with New Oak looking strong defensively. With Kelan Gaffney away and back up ‘keeper Sean Geoghean cup-tied, the gloves were given to Roy Byrne, usually known for scoring goals instead of stopping them, but even with a makeshift ‘keeper, Killeshin couldn’t test him. Whilst New Oak progress to the semi-finals, Killeshin’s season is now over with the Paupish knocking them out of both cups and nothing left to play for in the league.

New Oak were on fire from the start and were up for the game. As early as the sixth minute, Cian Dowling blasted a shot wide. Three minutes later, former intercounty footballer, Paul Broderick gave them the lead as he got onto the end of a Will Hayes cross from the right, hitting the ball off the post before blasting in the rebound from the left to score his fifth goal in three games at the venue this season. With 15 minutes on the clock, Broderick came close to scoring a second as he struck from the left hand side but he put his effort wide. Four minutes later, a Dylan Roache effort from the left from distance was saved well by Byrne. Just before the half hour mark, a Dragos Mamaliga corner was headed away and played back in. Byrne saved it and the ball was cleared over the bar. Just after, Lee Walker’s free from the right was cleared. Killeshin equalised after 33 minutes as Adam Steed struck from the edge of the box on the right hand side to bring Killeshin back into the game. With five minutes to go until half-time, a Dean Kelly rocket from the halfway line went just over the bar. On the stroke of half-time, a Walker effort from just outside the box was hit wide.

Five minutes after the break, a Broderick free from right was cleared with a corner from the right seeing an effort saved by Pierce Bregazzi in the Killeshin goal. Two minutes later, Kelly struck from distance, firing into the bottom left hand corner to give New Oak the lead again. A minute later, he almost made it three when he fired from just over the halfway line, just hitting it wide.Just after the hour mark, a Mamaliga free was just hit over the bar. With 20 minutes left in the game, an Ian Brennan effort was hit wide with Byrne getting to it to clear. Five minutes later, Dowling down the left set up Lee Gordon who slipped as he attempted a shot. With eight minutes to go, a Bregazzi free from the halfway line on the left hand side was hit straight into the arms of Roy Byrne. With two minutes to go, a Jordan Harmon effort from the right was hit wide from just outside the box. Into injury time, A Kelly effort from distance was saved whilst it could have easily been three as Lee Gordon put the ball on a plate for Daryl Coleman from the right but he couldn’t control and it was cleared. New Oak hung on for a big win to put their name in the hat for the semi-final draw.

Killeshin: Pierce Bregazzi, Aran Donnelly, Dylan Roache, Bryan Lawlor, John Flemming, Micheál O’Rourke, Niall Scully, Neil O’Callaghan, Kieran Hennessey, Dragos Mamaliga, Adam Steed. Subs: Julian Strain, Declan Bolton, Ger Brennan, Jake Haughney.

New Oak Boys: Roy Byrne, Dylan Keightley, Cian Dowling, Lee Murphy, Cathal Gaffney, Paul Broderick, Conor Byrne, Dean Kelly, Lee Walker, Jamie Murphy, Will Hayes. Subs: Chris Bermingham, Lee Gordon, Daryl Coleman, Greg Sykula, Jordan Harmon.

By Harry Shorthose

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow Sport

Kehoe ready to complete Italian job

Similar Articles