Friday, September 16, 2022

A MAN charged with five counts of engaging in a sexual act with a child under the age of 17 appeared before a sitting of Carlow District Court last week.

The man, aged in his early 20s, cannot be identified due to reporting restrictions being imposed.

The offences are alleged to have taken place on dates between 1 February and 8 April 2021 at a location in the district court area of Carlow.

Garda Stephanie Hallahan gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution of the defendant that morning at Carlow courthouse.

Judge Geraldine Carthy was told the defendant made no reply after caution.

DDP directions in the case were for trial on indictment in the circuit court. There was also consent for the defendant to be sent forward to the circuit court on a signed plea.

Garda Hallahan said there were no objections to bail, but with conditions that the defendant was not to contact the injured party or any witnesses. He was also to sign on at Carlow Garda Station one day a week and to notify gardaí if he planned on leaving the country.

Defending solicitor Brendan Weldon requested the recordings of garda interviews in the case.

The case was adjourned until 19 October for a book of evidence to be prepared.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow News

Similar Articles