Thursday, September 29, 2022

THE last time Tinryland and Palatine met in the Carlow SFC final was in 1950 and a replay was needed after the first game ended in a draw. John Doyle, a hero of the 1944 Carlow Leinster winning team, inspired his team to victory in what was his last game. Below, the report of the game as it appeared in The Nationalist at the time is reproduced.




“Their’s not to question why, their’s but to do or die.”

There was more than a little spirit in the thirty men who took to the field in Dr. Cullen Park, Carlow, on Sunday to contest the County Senior Football Final replay. It was one of the most courageous games I have ever seen – it was also one of the best.

Apart from the result, we must thank Tinryland and Palatine for providing such an epicurean feast of football fare.

We must, however, come back to the records. For the tenth year, and third in succession, Tinryland are champions and holders of the Haughney Memorial Cup, having defeated their parish rivals Palatine by 1-5 to 1-3.

Worthy champions they are, but so also would Palatine be if they had succeeded in taking their first title.

The game lacked nothing, least of all thrills. Peak-point training was evident in the speed, verve, dash. Fielding, when required, was excellent, though there was a lot of ‘breaking’. Kicking was accurate and lengthy.

Most notable, however, was the ‘will to win’ displayed by all. With no thought to personal safety players, young and old, light and heavy, threw themselves into the thick of it. And – it’s also the case with good hurling – there were no serious injuries.

Though blood was ‘up’, tempers were kept submerged with the aid of the firm, impartial hand of the referee, Luke Kelly.

Youth and enthusiasm had to give best to craft and experience, and there is little doubt that the craftiest and most experienced Tinryland man, John Doyle, won the game for his side.

With every opportunity he bustled played around the Palatine goal, looking for an opening or inviting the very welcome – to him- foul. The former rarely presented itself,  but defenders obliged with the latter, and at the vital stage. John, needless to say, did the needful with the frees.

This was John Doyle’s last game, and probably be one of the longest remembered. He has given great service to County and Club, and we trust he will continue to do so behind the scenes.

His clubmates will readily agree that he was their inspiration for many years back.

Kevin Jordan made some good saves and clearances for the winners in goal and had a fine understanding with his full back Lar Moran.

Jackie Doyle, ‘Peenie’ Whelan and Paddy Sullivan were all sound and untiring defenders but star of the sector was Andy Murphy. Truly, a bulwark, if ever there was one.

Jim Deane surpassed himself at midfield, playing one of the best games of his career.

Most closely ‘guarded’ sector was the half-forward line of Hosey, Paddy Murphy, Mick Whelan, from whom the most scores came in the drawn game. Their every move was covered, even though they were always dangerous.

John Doyle was the spearhead of the attack and he was flanked by two dynamic opportunistic wingers, Arthur Carroll and John Murphy. The latter got two grand scores.

  1. Hickey had a star game in goal for Palatine and was selected as sub on the county team on the strength of it.

The full-back line of T. Hendricken, F. McGill and J. Deering was very sound but the honours go to the half-back line where Liam Murphy, Andy Dooley and J. McAssey gave little scope to three forwards of County stature.

Jim Hayes got off on the wrong foot at centre field and could never match Deane. His partner, Harmon, balanced matters, however, with a great display.

The wings were the most effective divisions of the attack: W. McGill and L. Hendricken on the right and L. Hickey and M. Brady on the left.

Sympathy is a poor substitute for congratulations, but we must say well  done and good luck to Palatine. They have a grand team of fine young footballers, and there is nothing surer than they’ll be back.

A special word of praise to the trainers – Guard Jim McGrath who handled Palatine, and Lar Moran and J Doyle who were in charge of the winners.

Play opened in favour of Palatine but Andy Murphy cleared a ‘50’ and John Doyle sent wide at the other end.

Harmon played Hendricken whose shot was saved by Jordan, but Harmon pointed a free.

Palatine were back like a flash and when McGill sent to Luke Hickey the latter had a grand point which first hit the upright.

Andy Murphy and Deane turned play for Tinryland and when Willie Hosey placed John Murphy he made no mistake for a goal with a fast cross-shot.

John Brady and Mick Whelan both had wides and in a hot Tinryland attack Hickey saved from both John and Paddy Murphy.

Tinryland were awarded a 14 yard free but John Doyle drove low and McGill cleared. The leaders were rewarded when a good movement, Hosey to John Doyle to P. Murphy was punched over the bar by a defender to save the goal.

Things weren’t looking too bright for Palatine, but Liam Murphy set them going.

  1. McGill sent to Hendricken who dropped a shot across the goal and Mickey Brady rushed in to fist to the net, and give Palatine the lead once more.

The equaliser nearly came when Dooley passed to by mistake to P. Murphy and the latter raced in and sent over the bar – but he had raced too far and the whistle had gone.

At half-time Palatine led 1-2 to 1-1.

Palatine were away like a flash at the restart and John Brady placed brother Mickey for a good run. He was ‘stopped’ however, and Hayes pointed the free.

‘Peenie’ turned play for Tinryland and John Murphy pointed to reduce the lead again.

For fully fifteen minutes there was scoreless but excellent football. Tinryland fought abandonedly for the equaliser, and Palatine were equally determined to keep in front. Hickson, placed by Harmon, missed a glorious opportunity for a Palatine goal and the equaliser came when John Doyle pointed a 14 yard free.

Andy Murphy then went on a one man attack, but after a fine solo run sent wide. Mick Whelan broke away and placed Hosey for a point.

Hickey made a save from McGrath, who had earlier switched with John Doyle, and the latter had the last score of the game, a point from a free.

Mr. Luke Kelly refereed.

Tinryland – K. Jordan, Jack Doyle, L. Moran, T. Murphy, P. Whelan, A. Murphy, P. Sullivan, J. Deane, J. McGrath, W. Hosey, P. Murphy, M. Whelan, A. Carroll, John Doye, J. Murphy.

Palatine – P. Hickey, T. Hendricken, F. McGill, J. Deering, J. McAssey, L. Murphy, A. Dooley, J. Harmon, J. Hayes, W. McGill, J. Brady, L. Hickey, L. Hendricken, S. Hickson, M. Brady.


2,700 people attended the game and a gate of 182 was taken.

*This report first appeared in The Nationlist dated 7 October 1950.


Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: +353 59 9170100

More Carlow Sport

Carlow win Gaynor Cup!

Similar Articles

Rathvilly almost caught by late Rangers rally